Saturday, July 22, 2006

Many Rinses Later...Layers to Spin

After a few rinses that produce clear water, it's time to spin the water out of the wool. I just use the washing machines spin cycle to press the water out...although I sometimes am taking a chance that the wool will felt...I think that it's a good trade off. If the wool felts from a spin in the washer, then I probably don't want it for yarn to dye or wool locks to dye anyway...it would never make it through the dyeing process if it felts that easily, for me anyway, that is 'true'.



Empty the washer...













I start with a single layer of wool bags. I try to spread the wool fluffs out while in the bag, so that the wool and the bags make a 'ring' around the center of the washer drum.










The bag and fluff just rest at the bottom of the washer.











One full layer, or round, later...it looks like this.














Sometimes there is enough wool to go around a second layer, so I just place those in a second 'ring' around the drum.


Now...how does it spin?

No comments: